The network doesn’t lie. But if you can’t hear what it’s saying, you’re operating deaf. With a bit of paraphrasing, that was essentially how Kelly Hill, Editor at RCRWireless News, kicked off a webinar last week exploring what it takes to build an agile mobile network. Watch the full replay, or if you’re strapped for time, here’s a summary.
Hill noted that networks are becoming denser and more dynamic, while operators are dealing with tight, and tightening, performance requirements and increasing focus on the user experience. This means that as network control overwhelms humans, self-optimizing networks (SONs) are necessary to achieve agility and ultimately competitive differentiation.
- Scalability – meeting expected demand for services with minimal upfront cost.
- Agility – network software and hardware self-controls across devices that support services.
- Elasticity – dynamically adapting to resources demanded for service delivery.
“The instrumentation layer is going to become increasingly valuable,” Rezek predicted. “You can’t control what you can’t see. You can’t see what you can’t measure.”
As more, and different types of, traffic strain mobile networks, control must become increasingly ‘smart’ and automated, noted Patrick Lopez, Founder and CEO, Core Analysis. If not, quality suffers—as is often seen with video delivered via mobile networks.
“Video is the dominant service on mobile,” Lopez said. “Having that service being the lowest quality is a problem for everyone involved in the value chain.”
- Networks and traffic patterns are getting more dynamic, dense, and complex
- Video is driving significant network utilization growth
- The coexistence of diverse applications on a single network challenges QoE
- Real-time, ubiquitous visibility at all locations and layers is a prerequisite for effective QoE
- Next-gen networks will put analytics to work deriving network policies and control, using virtualized instrumentation
- Operators moving toward 5G are following the path of major cloud providers as they built these capabilities into their networks
The main webinar was folllowed by a Q&A that focused mostly on the value and impact of agility in practical, real-world terms; and the ways in which encryption impacts network visibility and agility.
Ready for a deeper dive into mobile networks QoE?
- Video Playlist: Network Intelligence for 5G
- Video: VoLTE QoE Assurance with FlowBROKER™
- White Paper: Mobile Networks QoE
- Solution Brief: FlowBROKER™
- Video: Accedian’s Performance Assurance Role in Network Modernization