As demand for connectivity and mobile communications continues to grow, network operators are increasing their footprint to reach new customers, open up new markets, and increase their revenue stream.
Managing networks has become increasingly complex; reducing operational expenses and increasing productivity become key strategies in maximizing shareholder value.
Skylight orchestrator is a centralized management platform for Accedian network performance elements and modules. Multiple concurrent users can view and manage these Accedian devices, greatly simplifying the tasks of network operators. From initial installation through unit lifecycle administration and maintenance, Skylight orchestrator simplifies, secures and accelerates service validation, fault management, and performance.
Skylight orchestrator combines proven open source platforms with a browser-based user interface to provide a powerful performance management tool. Built around a robust task automation engine, it can perform network-wide operations for device backups, device commissioning, firmware upgrades and even run multiple concurrent service validation tests.
By extending the Accedian instant provisioning system, Skylight orchestrator reduces operational effort to an absolute minimum. New units go from the box to being managed in just minutes.
Skylight orchestrator benefits
- Point-and-click web browser based user interface
- Centralized fault management
- Northbound SNMP API for Network Management System (NMS) alarm integration
- Commissioning workflows for efficient node turn-up
- Job scheduling for automation
- Plug & go inventory discovery
- Remote device inventory and management
- Network-wide configuration backup and restore functions
- Network-wide firmware upgrades
- Network-wide inventory
- One-second, stream-based performance data collection
- Centralized service turn-up validation
- Commissioning templates
- RADIUS based authentication
- Appliance-based deployment
Skylight orchestrator capabilities and features
The Skylight provides centralized fault management for a rapid view of network health. An alarm banner is always visible, providing a quick tally of all active alarms, as well as any loss of connectivity to the underlying elements.
Operators can drill down in the active alarms event list, which displays the most recent events in the system. This list provides alarm conditions, source entities and probable cause details.
Skylight orchestrator provides real-time events by listening for activity from the underlying network. The alarm list is periodically refreshed on each device to maintain accurate alarm counts and to ensure operators are provided with an exact view of active alarms.
Sorting and filtering active alarms is possible through an active alarms query tool. The multiple query options available can be combined to provide a view based on specific network elements, severity or time range.
Skylight automates network-wide configuration management through its inventory collections, unit backup archiving and export functions and firmware management capabilities. Its task automation engine can process thousands of Accedian devices at the same time. Configuration files can be stored on either the server or on an external server, depending on your specific requirements.
Skylight offers an optional, value-added application. Template-based commissioning tools standardize and streamline the device turn-up process. Commissioning operations can be either launched automatically upon device installation or scheduled for a single device or multiple devices concurrently.
Skylight session management
Create, Verify, Validate
Skylight provides a comprehensive solution for creating test sessions to verify network service level agreement (SLA) compliance on a granular and continuous basis. Skylight enables one-way monitoring of network performance with high accuracy without the need for external synchronization.
Data is the great equalizer. Providing service providers with insightful data about the performance of their network is paramount to ensuring that SLAs are being met and that the required quality of service is being delivered to end customers. Skylight orchestrator includes a performance data collection and distribution engine that provides near-real-time statistics, down to one-second granularity. In order to optimize network bandwidth while minimizing CPU and data-caching requirements, a permanent data stream is established between the devices and the Skylight orchestrator platform.
Performance testing (RFC-2544 and Y.1564)
Skylight can act as an ITU-T Y.1564 and RFC-2544 coordinator to enable centralized configuration and control of service validation tests. From one central screen, network operators can configure tests that include loopbacks for two-way flows and reverse tests for one-way flows. Once tests are configured, the Skylight orchestrator launches them from a central location. Test progress can then be monitored and test results retrieved in real time as the test runs.
- Y.1564 and RFC-2544 testing with Layer-2 and Layer-3 support
- One-way and two-way configurations
- VLAN, DSCP and PCP flow validation
- CIR andEIR throughput characterization
- Centralized configuration of up to eight flows per suite
- Configuration of multiple validation suites
- Generic suites can be used as templates for consistent validation across an entire network
- Site-to-site or site-to-multisite configuration
- Concurrent flow execution for true service validation
- Automatic configuration of reverse flows for one-way tests
- Automatic creation and control of Layer-3 loopbacks
- Centralized validation of circuit configuration and performance
- Validationlaunch and status updates from the Skylight orchestrator web interface
- Retrieval and archival of validation results that can be used as “birth certificates”